Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Unto Others

Well, my essay didn't get enough votes to win a scholarship, but in case you haven't read it, I'll leave it here. For posterity, I suppose. A few people I didn't know commented that it was a good reminder, so that's a pretty cool thing. Now: the most important lesson I've ever learned in 300 words or less.

Any question as grand and crucial “the most important lesson I have learned in my life” is difficult to approach. In consideration, I thought about many of my personal experiences—about times of difficulty and joy—but what I came to realize was that I was approaching the question incorrectly. The most important lesson I have learned has nothing to do with me: it is the importance of putting others before you.
The true character of a person is shown in how much they help people who cannot help them back. That it true selflessness; serving others without expectation of reciprocal action.
In this regard, I am blessed to be extroverted; most amicable interactions are fulfilling to me on some level. I love working with and helping people, but although it is easier for me to recommend serving them, the lesson is still valid. Even if one needs more time alone, everyone should make a concentrated effort to help those around them.  
Today it is remarkably easy to fall into self-centeredness. We can bend technology to our whim to meet every inconvenience, advertisements promote the importance of “you,” and Facebook is a churning narcissism machine. Not only does this negatively affect us today, but I cannot see the situation getting better anytime soon. How can I tell my future children that the world does not revolve around them when the world tells them that it does?
There is hope, however. Selflessness begets selflessness. There is a reason that the rule “do unto others as you would have them do to you” has been classified as “golden.” If we understand our prideful, selfish, current situation as a society, we are much better equipped to escape it. The most important lesson I have ever learned is to put everyone above myself.


-Will

 "And a bonus point for readers: If you write for a living, never hesitate to recycle material."

No comments: